Step 4: Failing to Renew Your License
This step informs you of the consequences you may encounter if you do not renew your license before the expiration date.
Renewing Your License After Expiration
If your renewal is received after the expiration date, or the license expires before an acceptable renewal is received at CSLB, the following will occur:
- The renewal will be considered delinquent;
- You will be required to pay the delinquent renewal fee;
- There will be a break in licensing time;
- The license will only be renewed from the date an acceptable renewal application is received through the remainder of the current renewal period.
Any work performed while the license is expired is considered to be unlicensed and disciplinary action can be taken against you.
Petitioning for a Retroactive Renewal
The Registrar will consider your petition only under the following circumstances:
- The CSLB must receive a written petition within 90 days of the expiration date.
- You must be able to show that the delay was due to circumstances beyond your control.
If your petition is granted, you are still required to pay the delinquent renewal fee. This requirement cannot be waived.
Time Limit for Renewing a License
You may renew an expired license any time within five years after its expiration. If the license has been expired for more than five years, you will be required to reapply by completing an Application for Original License.