Report Unlicensed Activity

Unlicensed contracting is part of California's estimated annual $60 to $140 billion dollar underground economy. These individuals do not pay taxes, have insurance or bonds. It is not unusual for them to be involved in other illegal activities as well.

ALERT ALERT If you have a contract with an unlicensed individual and wish to file a complaint, please refer to the section on Filing a Construction Complaint. If you know of unlicensed activity and just want to report it, then you are in the proper section.

The following sections define illegal contracting and how to report unlicensed activity with the Statewide Investigative Fraud Team (SWIFT).

What is illegal contractor activity?

This section describes illegal contracting and the programs CSLB has in place to combat the activity.

How can I report unlicensed activity?

This section explains how consumers, building officials and legitimate licensed contractors can report unlicensed activity.

How can I report illegal advertising by an unlicensed contractor?

This is a link to a form you can use to file an advertising complaint with CSLB.